We have to admit – we haven’t had tater tots in a long, long time. Not because we don’t like them. Just because we don’t think of them when wandering the grocery aisles. But when this recipe showed itself, that all changed. This is super quick, super easy, and SUPER tasty. The red pepper sauce adds nice heat, and there’s NO SUCH THING as a bad cheese. So try it with other cheeses, besides sharp white cheddar. Let us know what you use and how it comes out.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups wheat beer or pale ale
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 16 ounces sharp white cheddar, grated
- 1 cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp red pepper sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 2 cup tater tots, cooked according to package directions*
- Add the beer, cornstarch, cheddar, broth, heavy cream, and red pepper sauce to a blender. Blend on high until very well combined, about 5 minutes.
- Add to a pot over medium high heat, simmer until warmed and slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in chives.
- Ladle into serving bowls, top with tater tots, serve immediately.
*To bake crispy tater tots, rather than soft ones, drizzle with oil just prior to baking.
Thanks to The Beeroness for this recipe.