Beer Mac and Cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup amber beer
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese – divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese – divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 5 cooked and crumbled bacon strips
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually whisk in the milk, beer and cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Be careful not to burn.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese, fontina cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese until melted. Add chives.
- Drain macaroni – stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Top with crumbled bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
1 serving of deliciousness equals 420 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Thanks to Taste of Home for this recipe.
tags: bacon cheese main dish Recipe Taste of Home