We have an equal love-fest around here for two things – chocolate or craft beer. This cake recipe gives us both – and we know that dark beers and chocolate go GREAT together! Yeah, it’s got a lot of ingredients, and yeah, it takes some time to make, but man, is it GOOD! Feel free to share this one…
Prep Time: 25
Bake Time: 45 min
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) softened cream cheese
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Grease a 9-in. springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper – set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat beer and butter until butter is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in sugar and cocoa until blended. Combine the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk into beer mixture. Combine flour and baking soda – whisk into beer mixture until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and cream; beat until smooth (do not over-beat). Remove cake from the pan and place on a platter or cake stand. Ice top of cake so that it resembles a frothy pint of beer. Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 12 servings
1 slice costs you 494 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Thanks to Taste of Home for this recipe.