Easy Beer and Ketchup Meatballs
March 9 is National Meatball Day! According to NationalDayCalendar.com, there is a restaurant in New York that has 54 different kinds of meatballs. Not only do meatballs allow for variety, but they move from appetizer to side dish to main dish quite easily. Meatballs can be made the night before and put in the crock pot, or days before and kept in the freezer. No one’s been able to identify the creator of National Meatball Day – but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate it with this tasty, EASY appetizer dish.
Prep time: 40 m
Cook time: 3 h
Ready in: 3 h 40 m
- 1 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 24 fluid ounces beer
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place the beer and ketchup in a slow cooker on high setting and allow to simmer..
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, garlic powder and onion, mixing well. Form mixture into meatballs about 3/4 inch in diameter. Place meatballs in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs to the slow cooker with the beer and ketchup and simmer for 3 hours; sauce will thicken.
Thanks to AllRecipes for this recipe.