It’s a week before this year’s Super Bowl, and it’s also National Corn Chip Day! Getting you this recipe in week in advance, will give you a chance to get everything you need to make these for your Super Bowl festivities. You can vary your toppings from what we used. A good mix of beer and cheese and chips in this one!
Beer-Nacho Cheese Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound of Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 pound of sharp yellow cheddar
- 1 cup of beer (I used Negra Modelo)
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- chorizo, cooked
- corn chips
- 1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 can of refried black beans
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- To make the beer nacho cheese, grate the cheese. Combine milk and beer in a small sauce pan and heat until warm, but not boiling. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Once melted add the flour, one tablespoon at a time stirring constantly with a wood spoon until smooth and incorporated. Then add the warm beer-milk mixture 1/3 at a time, continuing stirring, until incorporated. Lower heat to medium low heat and add both cheeses.
- To assemble the nachos, preheat the oven to 375 with the rack positioned in the middle. Heat up the refried beans in a pan until warm and runny. I added a little water until I got a runnier consistency. Add 1/3 of chips and pour 1/3 of beans and 1/3 of cheese over the layer. Repeat until you use all the chips and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes until chips are toasted on the edges.
- Top with chorizo, pickled jalapeno slices, avocado, green onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and top with a dollop of sour cream.