Ok, we hear ya. CABBAGE!?!?!? YUK! But hear us out. This recipe is quite versatile. It’s good hot or cold, and with multiple meats – suggested ones are chicken and pork. One of the best things about it, though, is that it’s got less calories because beer replaces oil in the recipe. AND it has BACON in it! Come on – how bad could it be with BACON? Ok, we’re gonna let you TELL us how bad it is (or not!). Give it a try. And then tell us if you think it really is YUK!
- pound smoked bacon diced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage cored, sliced
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons coarse mustard
- 12 ounces wheat beer
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over low heat. Add the onions and sweat for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and season. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Serving suggestions: Serve this hot or cold, as a side for chicken or pork.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
Thanks to Foodista for sharing this recipe.