Scottish Wee Habanero Recipe
When we found this recipe, we couldn’t just pass on by without sharing it. Too many of you (and us) like the spicy side of things. We’ve been reading about all sorts of “additives” to craft beers, so this one seemed really tame. Peppers add heat for sure. Some can also add fruity citrus, tang and even smoke. Prepare and add the habanero chile in this recipe to taste.
Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
Brewhouse efficiency: 75%
MALT /GRAIN BILL
13 lb pale ale malt
2 lb crystal 80
2 lb dextrine/cara pils
4 oz chocolate malt
1 oz Fuggles [4.5% AA] at 60 minutes
1 oz Fuggles [4.5% AA] at 30 minutes
1 oz Fuggles [4.5% AA] at 5 minutes
Single-step mash at 156°F (69°C) for 60 minutes. Boil for 60 minutes, following the hops schedule.
Wyeast 1728 (Scottish Ale) or White Labs WLP028 (Edinburgh Scottish Ale)
Chile preparation (begin 3 days before racking to secondary):
1. Chop 1 oz (28 g) of ripe habanero chile.
2. Cover the chopped chile with vodka in a mason jar.
3. Let sit for 3 days.
4. Strain the chile from the liquid.
5. Add half the liquid to the secondary and stir carefully with a racking cane – start even more conservatively if you’re worried about the burn.
6. Taste: if you want more heat, add more liquid.